Projects - How to Insulate an Attic Floor with Foam it Green
Use Closed Cell Foam it Green for Attic Floors
Attic Insulation is an extremely common project. It's quick and easy to do. Plus the benefits range from much lower utility bills to reduced sound transfer.
By using closed cell Foam it Green, you create a seamless air barrier and high r-value that will keep your home much warmer than before in the winter and much cooler in the summer.
The rigid foam creates a pest barrier that helps keep insects and rodents out. And because it never sags or settles, once it's in place, it's done, unlike fiberglass. Plus, you're much less likely to have mold issues with the anti-microbial formula.
1) Follow all of the instructions in the included instruction manual regarding proper Foam it Green setup, project area preparation, and substrate readiness. Make sure that you have all of the tools required for the job (see Tools).
2) Remove attic floor boards if they exist. Also remove any preexisting blown-in or batt insulation, or move it to one half of the attic, then repeating all subsequent steps when one half is completed. (Fig. 1)
3) Air seal penetrations around chases, flues, and bypasses, which includes junction boxes, lights, and exhaust fans. (Fig. 2)
4) Air seal the furring cavity at the exterior wall (the gap between the exterior wall plaster and the brick bearing wall).
4) Check attic access covers to make sure they are air tight. Install roof vent baffles to be used as insulation dams in order to keep the soffit vents free and clear of foam or other insulation materials. (Fig. 3)
5) Apply Foam it Green in 1” cured layers to desired thickness, between the joists, sprayed to the attic deck or backside of the ceiling material below. If using multiple insulation materials, roll out batt insulation over the foam, or fill with blown in to desired R value.
6) If storage space is desired, construct a platform with joists running perpendicular to the attic’s, at a height tall enough to accommodate the insulation’s ultimate total depth.
Call 1-800-516-0949 for help in purchasing your kits.
Additional Closed Cell Kit Details:
The Easy to Use Spray Foam Kit
Spray foam insulation that's convenient and easy to use.
R-Value of 7 in 1 inch - 97% Closed Cell Foam. The best wall, basement or attic insulation.
Class I E-84 Fire-Retardant - meets building code spec.
100% Free of CFCs, VOCs, Penta-BDEs, & Urea Formaldehyde
Spray foam kits are quicker and easier to use plus you get a seamless air barrier and high r-value in just 1 inch. Choose Foam It Green spray foam insulation kits and don't settle for less than you deserve.